So there I was minding my own business last week when a friend called me up and requested that I accompany them on a site visit to Two Rivers.
For those who are not aware, Two Rivers is a fascinating complex set on a whooping 100 acres just after Runda which is gradually coming into shape after years of planning. Upon completion, the structure will boast 8.9 Million Square feet of available space.
So we jumped into the car and sped down Limuru Road and made our way to the development. You know things are serious when they design an underpass for access to the mall separate from the main Limuru Road and a roundabout to access the mall from the Northern Bypass
We parked the car in the vast parking space (over 3,500 spots!) after which I got a quick tour of the complex. Interestingly, there are tenants who are ready to receive customers even with the final phase of the construction going on…
With a green angle in mind, Two Rivers’ plan is to install one of the largest rooftop solar panels in Africa. 80% of the water used within the complex will be recycled while over 30% of the development will be set aside for parks and natural spaces.
What makes Two Rivers different from all the other malls/developments in Kenya?
- Two Rivers will have a whole new lineup of shops/retailers which are setting shop in Kenya for the first time ever. These include:
a) LC Waikiki
Turkish LC Waikiki is an international clothing line with over 600 stores in more than 30 countries.
Carrefour will be opening the first hypermarket in Kenya at Two Rivers. With over 1,600 hypermarkets and a presence in over 30 countries worldwide, Carrefour just stepped up competition in Nairobi with their Karen branch already in action.
2. Accommodation Options: Two Rivers will not only have residential apartments, but they will also have jogging and cycling lanes for tenants and guests. City Lodge Hotel will open a three star hotel within the compound which will have 170 rooms…
3. Movie Lovers Heaven! Vox Cinemas is setting up a 10 Screen theater with an offer on VOX Max, VOX Gold VOX 3D and VOX 4DX. You all know where to find me from November!
5. Public Event Spaces: I must admit that I am impressed by Two River’s plan to have public event spaces. All other malls in Nairobi have their parking spaces as the main event space. Apart from the galleries and movie theatre, there are two specific spaces of interest:
a) CK Square: The square will hold more than 2000 people and will have an LED outdoor screen.
b) Amphitheatre: With a capacity of 3,600 seats. The amphitheater will also have a live studio, an outdoor video facility and VIP corporate boxes. It can host an event every day of the year.
4. The sheer size of it. The complex will have 18 escalators, 22 lifts and 4 travelators.
Well ladies and gentlemen, I await your feedback of the mall once it opens in a few weeks… Meanwhile, I leave you with a couple of pictures of this interesting development…